05 December 2014

Bollywood / Hollywood: India #1

I think that my favourite part of having started writing this blog is that I finally get ahead to search for songs from different countries. I have always meant to, but never actually got around to do so, for no particular reason. Like in example, I always wanted to investigate music from India, but always pushed it into uncertain future. But now I have finally done so.

So today's music comes from India.



Let's start with Priyanka Chopra. She seems to be new to music, but has been acting for many years. The first song is In My City and it features will.i.am and it sounds like it is produced by RedOne. Priyanka's music is a lot different than other music I have heard from Indian singers. This definitely goes to a Hollywood category, which is probably because she is signed by American record label. It's very much that type of music which tops charts at United States and elsewhere too now. This song could get lost in the mass, but for me it somehow stands out, in a good way of course. Maybe it's her vocals. I think this song is fun and positive, which makes it nice to listen to. (I just ignore will.i.am in this song, since his part is so short and unimportant song-wise.)

One other song from her is called I Can't Make You Love Me. It is a cover of Bonnie Raitt's song. I heard the original version a little while ago and honestly I didn't like it much. But I like Priyanka's version. Her vocals are great again and in my opinion fit this song very well. This song too is very Hollywood, but that isn't automatically a bad thing, like in this case it's not.



Let's move more towards Bollywood. In the case anyone reading this doesn't know: Bollywood is Indian version of Hollywood. India has a huge movie industry. I actually have been very interested to watch Bollywood movies for a while, but I haven't since they are pretty hard to come by. The closest I come to watching Bollywood is the famous movie Slumdog Millionaire. But that actually is a British movie.

Since this is a music blog I won't get deeper into this subject, but I want recommend the Slumdog Millionaire book, which is originally called Q & A, and is written by Vikas Swarup. The book is so so much better than the movie. It's one of my favourite books all time. The movie is just mostly a love story, the book is much deeper and interesting.

But back to the music. Jai Ho is a song from the Slumdog Millionaire movie and it became quite popular along the movie. Or at least The Pussycat Dolls version did. This song is composed by A. R. Rahman and features vocals from Sukhvinder Singh, Mahalaxmi Iyer, Vijay Prakash and Tanvi Shah. It seems to be quite common to have lots of singers in Indian/Bollywood songs. You can actually hear also four different languages in this song.


Here is also a link to the version with The Pussycat Dolls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc5OyXmHD0w

Now finally to actual Bollywood. I have been able to find many good songs from Bollywood movies, but these are my favourites: Maria Maria and Soni De Nakhre. Both of them are from the Bollywood movie Partner (released 2007). Maria Maria vocals are by Wajid, Sonu Nigam, Shakib, Sunidhi Chauchan and Naresh Iyer. Soni De Nakhre vocals are by Labh Janjua, Sneha Pant and Wajid.

At first I must wonder what is it with Indians and Spanish language? A big part of Bollywood songs I have heard has a part or at least few random words is Spanish with no obvious reason. Like in example, Jai Ho had a bit Spanish and Maria Maria is overall very Spanish.

Both of these songs are very catchy and a lot of fun. Actually, based on the musical clips I have seen from this movie, I think I really want to see this movie. It seems very funny and the music is awesome. If I'll ever get a chance, I'll definitely watch it. But for now I'll have to set for these songs.





No comments:

Post a Comment